Why Open Eye?
Media and Links
My Flute Music
My Bio and Philosophy
from the beautiful island of Maui, Hawai'i, Polynesia! Thank you for the
kind support you have shown for Open Eye Tours & Photos through
the years. My name is Barry Pono Fried, and it's a pleasure sharing some of the
story of my private guide business with you.
to read the story of how I was given my Hawaiian name.
Active as a teacher with a Master's degree in
Education and as a life-long student of Hawaiian Language and Culture,
I feel I'm on the cutting edge of custom-designed tours and eco-tourism.
Since leading my first Elder Hostel Maui tours in 1983, I've fully committed
myself to guiding you to the island's finest places, providing a quality
experience to be remembered.
I am especially pleased with my comprehensive website,
some of the kinds of sights and experiences Maui offers.
Please e-mail me at
with your anticipated dates, and I will be glad
to help you plan your special day.
Aloha, Pono Fried
(808) 572- For Great
Tours Daily (572-3483)
Visit me on Facebook!
My philosophy is simple. I don't offer any tourist-type tour. Never has a
day with one client been repeated exactly like another. You hire me as
your very own private guide for the day; EXCLUSIVELY, WITHOUT
I have found that with no one else distracting your ideal
program, more of your needs are met. As part of the service, I consult
with each customer before embarking on the adventure, assessing your needs
and vision of what your special day might be like.
I tell you to imagine you had your very own guide showing you
of the island, and to tell me what that should include for you
to be satisfied. You tell me the kinds of things you like to see and do
that make you happy. Then I suggest the kinds of places and activities
you might enjoy. Your input will help make your day special and memorable.
- Maui tour guide since 1983
- P.U.C. License Number 4870-C, Commercial Auto Insurance, Commercial Liability Insurance
- Hawaiian Studies/Hawaiian Culture teacher at public and private schools on Maui,
including Kamehameha Schools, Halau Hula Kauluokala, and Pa'ia School
- Language skills: fluent in French, conversational Spanish, Hawaiian,
familiarity with Japanese
- French, Spanish or ESL teacher at Seabury Hall, Hawai'i Preparatory Academy, Kamehameha Schools, King Kekaulike, Maui Community College, Hui Malama Learning Center
- Represented in the following Tour & Travel books: Hidden Maui, Hawaii with Kids,
Paradise Family Guides - Maui, Ferrari's Guides and Inn Places
- Certificate, Pacific Island Studies, University of Hawai'i
- Elder Hostel Maui tour guide
- Hawai'i Nature Center, volunteer environmental educator
- M.A. from New York University
- B.A. from Wesleyan University
- Open Eye Tours & Photos owner/guide
- Photography published in magazines, calendars, and books
- PADI certified SCUBA instructor
- First Aid and CPR certified
At the Heart of Each Open Eye Tour are the Following Goals of Eco-Tourism:
- Conserving our precious natural resources, reusing & recycling
- Holding the indigenous culture in highest esteem, and being sensitive
to regional customs.
- Preserving fragile ecosystems by using more well-established trails &
- Supporting the local economy by purchasing foodstuffs & handicrafts
directly from homesteads & farms, favoring small & family-run businesses.
- Leaving intact each place as it is found, including living things,
their remains, & artifacts.
- Caring for the safety & well-being of people, plants, & animals.
- Offering healthy, hands-on "local style" activities (like tide pool
exploring, wild fruit & flower gathering, palm frond weaving.)
- Suggesting resources for further study on subjects of interest,
providing continued opportunities for learning.
- Actively contributing to organizations, groups & individuals which
perpetuate the above principles.
By the way, thanks in advance for showing this site to your colleagues,
friends and travel agent - I really appreciate it!
I am looking forward to sharing Maui's best with you.
Note: In an ongoing effort to conserve resources, Open Eye Tours has
discontinued printing a brochure.
Please print out the pages of this website which most pertain to your interest.
"Barry's knowledge of the language and approach to local people on their
own terms made a big difference in how we were received. This was the
smartest choice for me & enhanced my vacation."
Kathleen Chai, PhD,
Healthcare, Santa Ana, CA
"I would not have had the same experience if I went on a large tour or rented a car.
We went at our own pace. I appreciated the tour. It was special. We saw spots that
tourists didn't even get a chance to see. What stood out were the chants, learning about
the ti leaf, flowers, plants...I particularly liked the local villages."
Las Vegas, Nevada
"Excellent tour/tour guide and Hana experience. Enlightened;
interactive; relaxed; fulfilled; pono; joyous; informative;
friendly describe how we felt after the tour. We particularly like
the way the trip was planned, the timing and the guide's knowledge.
The wonderful historical legends /the respect for the ancestors and the environment;
chanting...fresh flower lei greeting, wonderful departure gifts,
the absolute personal touch and the apparent effort and attention that
was put in to making such a wonderful tour...better than excellent-
the best tour we had while in Hawaii...the quaintness of the tour; solitude;
awesome photo ops...the environmental lessons. The tour guide was exceptional and one
I would use again and recommend to all my friends- great style; not overbearing or
imposing; very responsive."
Barb Holcomb and Larry/Andrea Levere and Mike
New Jersey and Philadelphia
"So many thanks for such a wonderful, uplifting day. It was a VERY
SPECIAL day for us and we thank you. You are everything and more that we
heard about you!"
L. & W. Shelton, Executive, Coca-Cola
"I felt more informed about Hawaii in a personal way. Satisfied, informed, relaxed-
best tour ever!
What a nice day- we felt we made a new friend- his attention to detail, from the
handmade leis to the picnic including passion fruit & mango, etc. grown by him,
to the detailed information on Maui, was refreshing & made us comfortable and
very satisfied. Also, the surprise gift bag, including Hawaiian music CD's,
put this tour over-the-top in our view- (note to Four Seasons: You should recommend
Barry to all of your guests)."
Fort Worth, Texas
"Amazing, Incredible and Unique. Barry gives you a once in a lifetime experience.
It is a tour tailored to your interests - he puts the interest of his patrons above
all else. It was fantastic."
Karen and Todd Greenberg
"- Took time to watch for birds
- Took time to wait for the weather to clear
- Photographic expertise was appreciated
...Peaceful, happy, fulfilled...There was a wide variety of information- history,
folklore, music, gardening- all appreciated."
"Wonderful tour for people committed to experiencing the "real" Hawaii. I feel like
I have a better understanding of the customs and traditions- a new appreciation for
replenishing and surviving from nature.. Sacred grounds of the ancestors of Hawaii.
Fantastic, fun, happy, rejuvenated, more knowledgeable...I loved the waterfall and
passion fruit :-)"
Renee and Jessie
Santa Monica, California
"Reflections on our tour experience today:
Exhilarating, eye opening, awe inspiring...particularly liked the scenery...
the chanting, the stories, the legends stood out most in my mind...
Enthusiasm, passion, knowledge, friendliness of Barry. Enjoyable and would
recommend to others."
Why Open Eye?
Media and Links
My Flute Music
Makawao, HI 96768 USA
(808) 572- For